Monday, February 13, 2012

Can this be an example of "pun"?

The first one is :

I wonder, by my troth, what thou and I

Did, till we loved? were we not weaned till then,

But sucked on country pleasures, childishly?

Or snorted we in the seven sleepers' den?

'Twas so; but this, all pleasures fancies be.

If ever any beauty I did see,

Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee.

Can the word "love" here by a pun ? taking into consideration that it may mean spiritual and physical love ?

The second one is :

I cannot see what flowers are at my feet,

Nor what soft incense hangs upon the boughs,

But, in embalmed darkness, guess each sweet

Wherewith the seasonable month endows

The grass, the thicket, and the fruit-tree wild;

Could the word "embalmed" here be a pun ? taking into consideration that it may mean " mummfied" and "scented"?

Can this be an example of "pun"?
To me, the first one "love", is not a pun. You could say that it is a word that can be interpreted in two different ways and that it is a polysemic word.

The second one, yes, to me is a pun, since both meanings existed, even if (it's Keats, isn't it?) the sense of "scented" was already slightly archaic in the 19th C.
Reply:I would say that it is an analogy, a very good one. A "pun" to me is a simple play on words. What you have here is a very good poem. Good Work!! PS: If you look at the imagery, it's amazing.......!

What are some of the best hotels

No comments:

Post a Comment